52nd Annual Children’s Christmas Parade
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16th 2017 from 9:00 am – 10:00 am
Every December since 1965, the volunteers of the Melbourne Beach Vol. Fire Dept. have hosted the Annual Children’s Christmas Parade in Melbourne Beach. The event is considered a small town parade, and it is joked that it is the only parade that will pass by you twice due to the current route down Ocean Avenue. The Parade is now held as the “grand finale” to the Town of Melbourne Beach’s Holiday Event Week, starting with the Christmas Tree Lighting in town. Check below for more information.
Children’s Christmas Parade FAQs
Saturday, December 16th 2017 from 9am-10am .
- The 2017 Children’s Christmas Parade will start at 9 am, and usually lasts for approx. 45 minutes.
- Registration to enter the parade will start at 8:15 am.
- All entrants that have completed registration should report to the parade marshal for staging and instructions by 8:30 am.
- The awards are given immediately following the parade, usually around 10 am, in front of the Community Center.
This event is FREE to enter or watch, and is funded 100% through donations made to MBVFD Inc., our non-profit organization.
Any group or individual can enter the parade as long as their display is family friendly and holiday themed. Trophies are given for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place for the following categories:
- Traditional Christmas Spirit
- Creative Holiday Theme
- Children are the Stars
- All entries in the parade must be family friendly and holiday themed.
- Items such as candy or beads may be tossed from your float or display, but must be thrown out of the parade route to keep children from running into the road.
- There must be an adult “wheel walker” on each side of all large vehicles, trailers, or floats in the parade for safety reasons.
- We ask that you provide plenty of stopping distance from the group in front of you for safety reasons.
- The MBVFD reserves the right to restrict entry in the parade.
Unfortunately no, there will be no pre-registrations, and you will need to report to the registration table at 8:15 am on the day of the event. The Registration Form has been attached below to allow you to fill it out before you arrive to save time at registration.
The route historically starts at the Melbourne Beach Vol. Fire Station, and goes down Ocean Avenue to the East. The parade turns around at the Flag Pole at Ocean Park, and then goes back down Ocean Avenue to the fire station.
Observers usually watch from both sides of Ocean Avenue, and there is plenty of commercial parking located along the route. You can also park at Ryckman Park, Ocean Park, or the Melbourne Beach Library and then walk down to a spot along the route.
The Children’s Christmas Parade is fun and appropriate for all ages!
Unfortunately NO, the parade is always led by a fire engine for safety, and then followed by the local Boy Scout troop carrying the American Flag.
Groups may stop to “perform” for the judges, but we ask that the performances be kept under 60 seconds to keep the parade moving.
Yes, there are bathrooms located in Ryckman Park and Ocean Park that will be open for use during the Children’s Christmas Parade.
Yes and No. There will be cookies and punch for FREE provided by the MBVFD Inc. following the parade in front of the Community Center. With the exception of the cookies and punch, there will not be any food available at the Children’s Christmas Parade. We encourage people to support local Melbourne Beach businesses after the parade, and there are plenty of great restaurants here in town to grab a bite to eat.
Yes, in the case of severe weather, the Children’s Christmas Parade will be rescheduled for a later date. Check our website and/or our Facebook page at Facebook.com/mbvfd for current updates and information on our events.